US Policy & Partnerships Lead
About the Team
OpenAI’s mission is to ensure that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We believe that achieving our goal requires effective engagement with public policy stakeholders and the broader community impacted by AI. Accordingly, our Public Policy team builds authentic, collaborative relationships with public officials and the broader AI policymaking community to inform and support our shared work in these domains. We ensure that insights from policymakers inform our work and - in collaboration with our colleagues and external stakeholders - seek to further regulation, industry standards, and safe and beneficial development of AI tools.
About the Role
As the U.S. Policy and Partnerships Lead, you will develop strategies and lead OpenAI’s public policy engagement in the United States, including developing and managing relationships with policymakers at the federal, state and local levels. You will also develop and manage relationships with key U.S. partners, including civil society groups, researchers, and experts, seeking to advance partnerships and norms that align with OpenAI’s mission.
OpenAI is constantly evolving as we release industry-leading research and tools, and you'll face new challenges as the needs of the organization evolve. Day-to-day work may encompass anything from shaping strategic initiatives and policy documents to preparing our leaders for engagements with government officials to representing OpenAI in public forums.
We are looking for a self-directed and creative individual with significant experience managing relationships with both policymakers and civil society, plus a sophisticated understanding of AI-related legislative and regulatory issues and processes, particularly at the U.S. federal level. Technical skills relating to generative AI models are highly desirable.
This strategic yet hands-on role will report to the Head of Public Policy and work closely with key internal and external partners.
This role is based in Washington, DC and may require frequent travel to meet with key stakeholders. We offer relocation assistance to new employees.
You should thrive in this role if you:
- Are well versed in the issues around emerging AI technologies.
- Are an enthusiastic and effective coalition builder who enjoys working independently, but also thrives as a member of a high performing, peer-led global team.
- Enjoy managing teams and processes, but are also an accountable individual contributor.
- Are passionate about the promise of technology and the future of artificial intelligence but thoughtful about its potential risks.
We're looking for a blend of:
- Established network and credibility with policymakers, regulators, civil society, and other stakeholders, including underrepresented groups
- Deep experience in technology policy
- Proven skills managing collaborative teams and shared team resources
- Sound judgment and outstanding personal integrity
- Ability to execute in fast and flexible environments through rapid cycles of analysis, decision, and action
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to convey complex technical and policy concepts to diverse audiences
- Strong strategic thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the U.S. political system, institutions, and processes, and the key policy issues and debates related to AI
- Track record of effectively working with cross-functional teams, especially engineering and research teams, and aligning a diverse range of internal and external partners
- Genuine care and knowledge about the impact of technology on society
- Previous work on AI issues and technical AI development expertise a significant plus
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $207,000 – $256,500. Total compensation will also include generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
Please mention you found the job through PromptHero! It'll help us get more companies to post here. Thanks!Beware of job scams! You should never have to pay to apply for a job, buy equipment, or pay for trainings. If a job demands you ANY money, it's a scam. If a post looks like a "how to work online" page, it's probably a scam. Also, make sure you're talking to the real company by checking their website or email domain. Online work scams are everywhere, so be careful! By clicking on the apply button, you'll leave PromptHero and go to the company's application page. PromptHero accepts no liability or responsibility as a consequence of any reliance upon information on there (external sites) or here. Stay sharp and good luck!