About the Team
Security is at the foundation of OpenAI’s mission to ensure that artificial general intelligence benefits all of humanity.
The Security team protects OpenAI’s technology, people, and products. We are technical in what we build but are operational in how we do our work, and are committed to supporting all products and research at OpenAI. Our Security team tenets include: prioritizing for impact, enabling researchers, preparing for future transformative technologies, and engaging a robust security culture.
About the Role
As a Security Engineering Manager, you will lead OpenAI engineers and researchers in building transformational and secure AI technologies. The ideal candidate will have deep experience in at least one security engineering discipline and prior experience in security leadership. In this role, you will:
- Drive high leverage initiatives in infrastructure and application security
- Innovate to develop novel security architecture
- Collaborate on cutting-edge AI research, and use AI to improve OpenAI’s Security posture
You’ll make an impact at OpenAI by:
- Managing a team of world-class security engineers, providing hands-on technical leadership to mentor and grow their careers.
- Driving security architecture improvements across OpenAI’s research and production environments.
- Empowering OpenAI's AI researchers and developers to do their best work securely.
- Building enduring and high-trust partnerships with your colleagues across the organization.
- Thinking like an attacker and building like a defender.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- A track record of delivering transformational security improvements via leadership of productive engineering teams.
- Experience in security leadership, including prior management experience.
- Excellent communication skills, and are concise and persuasive.
- Experience with public cloud providers (e.g. Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure) and a desire to become an expert at protecting Azure infrastructure.
- Experience securing Kubernetes infrastructure (container security, orchestration security, authentication/authorization, etc).
- Proficiency with deployment tooling (Terraform, Buildkite, etc.) and security automation.
- Proficiency in programming (Python, Golang, or similar)
- Knowledge of modern adversary tactics, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to empathize and collaborate with colleagues, independently manage and run projects, and prioritize efforts for risk reduction.
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $300,000 – $500,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
This job is already closed and no longer accepting applicants, sorry.